Yesterday Was "That Day!"

Happy Pigs, Happy Chickens, Happy Geese, & Happy Me (I'm on the other side of the camera) Enjoying "That Day."
One of the things I love about the Foothills of North Carolina is "That Day."

This afternoon I was cold. I came home from work and went to take care of the cows and the chickens. It was 34º, the wind was blowing about 20 mph, clouds were scudding in. I didn't put on quite enough clothes before I went out, and I was cold. However, I think that the main reason I was cold was that yesterday was "That Day." It was January 20th. I was able to be on the farm all day. I was outside from sunup until sundown. I was with my chickens and geese and pigs and people all day. It was 66º. I was working in a t-shirt, and I even got a little sunburnt.

The rest of this week is shaping up to be really cold, at least for here. Lows will be in the teens, highs in the thirties. We'll be breaking ice off of water troughs and putting out extra feed. We're already fighting over the thick wool socks again. We'll be drinking hot cocoa in the evenings. We'll all be trying to get someone else to go get some more wood for the stove. Perhaps we'll be hoping for some snow.

But yesterday, yesterday was that beautiful, sunny, warm day in the middle of the winter that I always call "That Day."

Comments

  1. I love this post so much that I came back to read it again today. Keep writing Derek!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment